Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Market Analysis III Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
BigBlock
Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 9:29:45 PM
More to come soon
BigBlock
Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 10:34:50 PM

Baquilesb, while I respect your opinions, I'll throw my two cents out for all and sundry.

The supports we recently fell to and broke into (before ramping a little ) are, mathematically, the same supports broken down upon in 1974.   Should we fail to form a real bottom over the next 200 days...the next targets are 1974 levels....which would be substantially lower than multiple thousands on the DJ-30.  In short, the process begun in November has to hold the 7500 zone and then trade in a wide range (by yesteryears standards) getting stronger rather than weaker.  Odds on that happening given the citizenry's failure to take back the reigns of power?  Slim to none.

It is interesting to note the debasement that occured in the 1970's was limited to hollowing out the 'dollar', and killing the 'heretic' in SE Asia.  Todays debasements are the hollowing out of those entities in which a modicum of real 'wealth' yet exists and is stored (in the form of savings/retirement plans/businesses/homes and base capital), as well as killing the 'heretic' in the ME.  The final 'debasement' will conclude with elliminating the 'heretics' in the nominally protestant West, none of whom wear turbans.  The intelligent speculator would have a plan A, B, and C in place.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and at least ponder the outside possibility that Rome does not have your best interests at heart..  Failing to do this, it would at least benefit one to check muckety.com before investing in some of the shells that the wrong crowd have already hollowed out for the next implosion - regardless of overall market direction.

Awshuck

Ok I had a chance to take a look at that historical chart.  Everything is possible, but I must say that arriving to 70's levels is a very remote posibility in my book - that is a subtrending support.
The 6700 level in the Dow I mentioned in the prior thread of market analysis as a much more obtainable goal.  
If the 6700 level is broken, then there is some resistant levels at about 5500, and a a little more at about 3700.  At that point we would be at about 75% lower from top of 14000, and would  have to work  down through the trend of the 80's to reach those 70's sublevels.
I can see declining to the mid 90's levels and then resuming back to the primary trend of the 80's.  

awshucks
Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 11:34:57 PM
BigBlock
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:10:26 AM

Awshuck I understand what you are saying - but we still have to break a lot of supports to reach where you are saying.  Personally I do not really see that happening - BUT never say never.
Besides it is too early to draw that possibility.
This is what I currently see as possibly developing before resuming to an uptrend.  I will display in the chart below - by the way that is a 9 day chart.  It wouldn't make a difference for what I am saying.
I speculate the support from last bear to break.  I speculate the support trend to break.    I speculate the 6700 to be reached, and then a whipsaw to the 4000 level possible that will retrace back to the support trend to resume an uptrend on that support trend line comming from the 80's.

BigBlock
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:22:50 AM
Below is the chart that started it all over a year ago in the first Marke Analysis thread - still has room to go.
Not even in the oversold levels yet.

awshucks
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:27:49 AM

Ok BB.  I try to leave out personal bias as to what I think is 'obtainable' in a market environment.  I make more money when I stick to the math.  If this is similar to a 1929 event, then a simple fibo retrace from march of 29 to absolute bottom, noting the percentage level where the fractal hit its first tradeable ledge...and then doing something similar on the present charts (assuming we're forming a tradeable ledge)...would give you an acceptable long range target.  If this event is more reminiscent of '37...then the process would be similar and the final the target would be higher and closer to your 6700 zone.

You'll know the severity of the planned drop by the nature of the positioning move for it.  A 'tear your face off rally from this zone would be negative, imo.

As I view what is occuring as only one prong of a military campaign...and our money is worth nothing...my targets are lower than the lows in '87.

awshucks
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:39:16 AM
Also, I would argue that the concept of 'supports' is a fluid one.  If one looks at the amount of 'work' that occured below 14k on the DJ, one would think that the descent would have been slower.  I work from the concept that many 'supports' are an illusion and an outcome of conditioning.
realitycheck
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:36:09 AM
You fellows amaze me with the technicals ... but if I may ... I'd like to inject just a bit fundamenatlism in here ...

If you look at graphs of US govt debt .... and US Individual debt ... it becomes somewhat obvious that a good part of the wonderful things that we've seen in the growth of the US economy ... and the growth of the US markets ... over the last quarter of a century has largely been driven by debt ....

Now ... the American consumer ... who represents 70%+ of our economy ... has largely reached his debt service limits ...

So ... the question becomes ... where will the money come from to drive the recovery ?

It's probably not going to be from our growing manufacturing base ....

awshucks
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 10:44:30 AM

When you abandon the limited hangout and go to first causes, you don't listen to the memes.

jacknroo
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:25:16 PM
[QUOTE=awshucks]

When you abandon the limited hangout and go to first causes, you don't listen to the memes.

[/QUO

That was funny. Really cute.  Nearly fell out of my chair laughing.
Booker
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:51:43 PM

QUOTE (realitycheck)
You fellows amaze me with the technicals ... but if I may ... I'd like to inject just a bit fundamenatlism in here ...

If you look at graphs of US govt debt .... and US Individual debt ... it becomes somewhat obvious that a good part of the wonderful things that we've seen in the growth of the US economy ... and the growth of the US markets ... over the last quarter of a century has largely been driven by debt ....

Now ... the American consumer ... who represents 70%+ of our economy ... has largely reached his debt service limits ...

So ... the question becomes ... where will the money come from to drive the recovery ?

I agree with what you say realitycheck. Makes a lot of sense to me. And with all these TV shows, such as Susie Orman, Oprah, Dr Phil, and others that reach every household preaching for everyone to cut back on spending, pay their debt down, get out of stocks and into a safe cash environment.

These ingredients will trump the technical’s and drive the stock market down and put us into a recession every time.

This is not your everyday stock market that pays a lot of attention to support lines and normal ta but instead is driven by fear.

BigBlock
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 8:39:30 PM
QUOTE (awshucks)

Ok BB.  I try to leave out personal bias as to what I think is 'obtainable' in a market environment.  I make more money when I stick to the math.  If this is similar to a 1929 event, then a simple fibo retrace from march of 29 to absolute bottom, noting the percentage level where the fractal hit its first tradeable ledge...and then doing something similar on the present charts (assuming we're forming a tradeable ledge)...would give you an acceptable long range target.  If this event is more reminiscent of '37...then the process would be similar and the final the target would be higher and closer to your 6700 zone.

You'll know the severity of the planned drop by the nature of the positioning move for it.  A 'tear your face off rally from this zone would be negative, imo.

As I view what is occuring as only one prong of a military campaign...and our money is worth nothing...my targets are lower than the lows in '87.

I think that neither this bear market (technically), nor the the economic conditions are the same.  We can't compare apples to oranges.  I know the everyone including the media are trying to find a comparison point - but 1929 was then and 2008 is now.  
The only similarities that I find in both times is that the markets are downtrending - the reasons why the markets are doing so are different.
The geopolitical situation is different, the economic conditions are different, the reactions the government are taking are differeret.  
I find little parallels.

Consider that the wide swings we see nowadays are in great part the result of decimalization, which greatly improved the manipulation of markets TO the big operators, and are creating a boom in algorithmic trading (system trading). 

And I agree with you that supports is a fluid concept, I only like to know those supports to mesuare my odds are that particular point, and to make the proper decisions.
After all, remember the targets are pure speculation.

BigBlock
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:07:13 PM
QUOTE (realitycheck)

Reality you know well that I am a weird breed of trader.  A daytrader usually keeps no tabs on the economy.  Usually only TA is implemented.
I am not like that - although my daytrading is mostly technical, I keep a tabs on the economy, and geopolitics.  Those to some degree play a part of my decisions.

I understand what you are saying, and you well know I have pondered in the past on the same issues over, and over again.  But I also understand that this is not the end of the US, or the world for that matter.
There will be changes in all dimensions of our lifes - economy, politics, jobs, housing, lending, and only god knows in what else.

This is the thing - money is a funny thing.  Really what is money?  Who created money? Why was money created?  Why can only some print it?

To respond your question - the money will come from the presses of the Fed - as it always has.
How much do we owe to China?  A few trillions?  How long would it take to print just that?  We basically owe them nothing but a few bags of paper.
The value of money is nothing else but the value it is given.

How long do you think humans will rebel against machines?  An average GM factory use to employ on the average about 30,000 people.  Now the same factory produce the same, and in less time employing 800 people plus robots.
An average CEO makes about 11 million a year - the average blue collar worker 30,000 - Is it the economy or is it the discrepancy and nonsense driven by the rich.
How can manufacturing grow by unemploying more and more humas, while employing more and more robots?
How can the 70% that you talk about represent our economy?  For how long do you thin that will be the case considering the rise of the machines.
Why can't we provide more credit to those already in debt to their elbows?  After all, the only thing we need is a little more ink, and grease for the presses

Stimulus may become the theme of the 21st century.  Just load the presses and rock and roll.
realitycheck
Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 10:59:48 PM

QUOTE (BigBlock)
Just load the presses and rock and roll.

Oh ... I think that they're doing that already ... I'm hundreds of miles away ... and the noise is still keeping me awake at night ....

OK ... so we're gonna forgive all the debts ... and crank up the presses to compensate ...

Under what circumstances will this not cause an unbeneficial inflation ?

Granted ... this inflation works to the government's favor ... as it effectively reduces their debt as well ...

But ... for those of us with assets denominated in US Dollars ... it is little more than another tax ...

And granted ... things are different now than in 1929 ...

I doubt seriously if people are going to move out of their homes to live in "shantyvilles" ... even if they can't pay the mortgage ...

And stockbrokers aren't jumping out of windows on Wall Street ... instead their zooming out of underground parking lots in new Mazeratis ... bought at the expense of the taxpayers ... with license plates that read ... "LOL-SUCKERS" ...

As you know ... and I think that we both agree ... I don't judge "bear markets" by some arbitrary 20% benchmark ... after all ... when was the last time you saw somebody running down the street declaring a bull market ... just because the market was up 20% ....

In 1987 ... the low was reached within several weeks of the high ... and the same can be said for several other market "shocks" and/or "panics" ...

However ... when you judge a bear market as being a bear market ... not only by the amount of it's decline ... but also by the change in trend ... and the duration ... there are few others that have shown this kind of velocity in their decline ...

From a fundamental point of view ... we both know that it takes years for problems to build to cause this type of economic effect  ... and these problems will take years to work through ... and history tends to tell us to expect roughly 3 years ... from ultimate top ... to final bottom ...

I find it somewhat interesting that you believe that the cure to this problem is more easy money ... when that is what caused the problem to start with ... or perhaps ... you mean that they will again just postpone dealing with the problem ... by inflating yet another bubble ... in hopes that if will "pop" on the next guy ...

Either way ... it looks as if we will soon see our debt at 100% of GDP ...

But hey ... as long as we've got ink & paper ... we're good ... right ?

BigBlock
Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2008 2:09:17 PM
I must admit the tax payer will continue to be a "LOL-SUCKERS" ... as long as they permit the calamities that their goverment is permiting.
I did't see anyone indicted for the CDO's, and CDS's that contributed to one of the greatest losses in wealth that this nation has experienced in its life time.
Didn't see anyone complain about the fact that the government was handling billions to the same people who got the country into this mes WITHOUT even a restructuring plan up front.  How Idiotic!
I actually see no orginized protest at all anywhere.  
May be the "Depression" is not as bad as they put it.
BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 3:49:49 PM

This post comes from the thread "POLL".  I thought it should also be here so we can keep track of things on a single place.

Well I have to get my old list out here and check the items - it is getting harder to keep track of so much.
Over a year ago (10/12/07) in the virge of a presentation I wrote this list to keep track of things and some how I managed to keep this list around until now.  It is writen by hand on an odd piece of paper.  It is nice to see where your line of thought was a year later, and also it tremendously helps in tracking where improvements or deterioration is taking place.

HOUSING - has it improve?
CONSUMER has it improved?
CREDIT DEBT has it improved?
TRADE DEFICIT has it improved?
UNEMPLOYMENT has it improved?
HEALTH CARE has it improved?
IRAK / ALGANISHTAN WAR has it improved?
LOWER INTEREST RATES have they helped?

Lets add to that the Billions that the government has given to our banks without terms.
Lets add the lost of confidence created at the corporate, as well as consumer levels
It is said that the consumer has to believe the economy before they buy it - Is the cosumer believing?

MANUFACTURING - has it improved? We are close to letting a back bone industry evaporate along with hundreds of thousands of jobs.
Congress asks accountability from auto makers.  WHY didn't they do the same with the banks, which got us into this mess to beging with?

How do you explain?  On 11/24/08 we were serving Citigroup 326 Billion to save them from the abyss.
HOW IS IT POSSIBLE for Citigroup to be in the news just a week later for aquisition?
CITI FUND BUYING SPANISH HIGHWAYS FOR $10 BILLION.

INFRASTRUCTURE - (referring to the infrastructure of our bridges, roads, etc).  has it improved?
Then we have tax payer bailed out entities as Citi which think it is more attractive to buy infrastructure over seas with money they don't have than to invest on their own land.

And well the experts just told us that WE have been in a RECESSION for a whole year - whooopppy!!!  I must go and celebrate for the knowledge and be indebted to them for offering my such a great and usable information.

I view of the facts I especulate that the markets are not done falling - in fact they have a way to go.  There will be fluctuations as always.  I announced you the gingle rally and it came - THIS IS NOT A BOTTOM.
I think I have also announced that to you - refer to "Market Analysis thread(s)".
The recession in not done either - I see that well into the end of 2009 to say the least.  
There is a big variable now - Obama, and we will have to see what changes if any along with the variable.  Just makes it a little harder to project forward.
Once thing is for sure, even if this man was a magician he couldn't change our broken economy in the time you would like him to.

Our system has not broken - It has shattered.  It is my opinion that it would be much better to create a new one than to glue the pieces.  Just too many pieces.

BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:28:55 PM
In the headlines today:

"Retail sales falling like a rock.
Consumer spending the backbone of the US economy 
has been battered, and economy may now shrink by
4.1% in the current quarter"

BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:33:35 PM

OPEC Chief says cuts are coming.

Some one ask me about this months ago (believe it was Realitychek).  Just like I said in time for the cold season.

There you have it from the chief himself.  It is too bad the chief waited until the last minute.

BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:35:27 PM
Things may be getting a little more dificult in the trading arena.
Deutche Boerse and NYSE Euronext in talks of merging.
realitycheck
Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2008 5:19:48 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)

Some one ask me about this months ago (believe it was Realitychek).  Just like I said in time for the cold season.

There you have it from the chief himself.  It is too bad the chief waited until the last minute.

Well ....

They've tried to "talk it up" before ...

They've already tried cutting production ...

And as of yet ... nothing has changed the plummeting prices ...

Sure ... if they cut it enough ... they could change the prices ... but they ALL cheat !!

If it goes to $25/bbl ... as Merril as projected ... Saudi Arabia is about the only Middle Eastern producer that can turn a profit at that ...

So ... we'll see ...

BigBlock
Posted : Monday, December 8, 2008 2:11:54 PM
Just heard today - EDUCATION joining the ranks of insolvency.  That rising cost of education overpassing the cost of health.  Lets add  that to the list, please.
BigBlock
Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:43:40 PM

The Fed will bring interest rates down to 0 fairly soon.  I am assuming we will probably see 30 year mortgages rates falling below 5% - perhaps as low as 4 1/2 %.
How do you think the economy, housing market, and banking may be affected?
Keep in mind that there is no lower ground to go after 0, and keep in mind how this can revolve against the current situation instead of helping the current situation.

BigBlock
Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:21:20 PM
IN the news today -US stocks rise ON HOPES for an auto bailout.
What hopes?
If the automakers get the money, the only thing it is going to happen is that the economic deterioration will not be as severe as if they don't.  
Getting that money is not going to improve anything in this economy - there will be lay offs anyways because there will be consolidations.
I wonder who puts those nonsense news together.  May be there was no sensible reason for the makets to go up at all.  How about that!
realitycheck
Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:10:51 PM
Last quarter ... collectively ... Ford & GM burned about $14 billion in cash ...

Ford doesn't need any money right away ... though GM and Chrysler do ...

So ... assuming that the car market gets no better ... and no worse (BIG BET) ... this will only get those two through about 6 months ...

And 6 months from now ... they're STILL going to be the same COLOSSAL SCREW-UPS that they have been for the last 30+ years ....

BigBlock
Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:24:53 PM

Oh come on Reality - They got now the CAR CZAR, and the czar is going to change all production lines into Yugo lines creating the greatest, and most green auto industry in the globe.
The will run as fast and efficient as the M3 presses run by Bernake.
LOL

I am glad the money is coming so.   I think is buying some time for the workers to line up their lives before the tsunamy comes.  I would rather give it to the workers than to the banks.

funnymony
Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:28:22 PM

car czar? hmmmmm? didn't the word "czar" get its roots from the old soviet union?
BigBlock
Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:37:37 PM

Yes I believe so funny.  It is probably more in vogue with the new Social Capitalism or should I say Broken Capitalism.

awshucks
Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:45:31 AM
Best go back to your history books boys.  The Tsars were in charge of Russia prior to Trotsky, Lenin and Fr. Stalin showing up.  I throw up in my mouth a little every time I see the term used in our Republic.
BigBlock
Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:28:05 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)

I guess I am going to quote myself here.
There you have it - OIL 12% up today.  It is coming.  
Estipulated price to arrive to $75 per barrow withing the next 3 months of so.  I aproximate an increase in gasoline price to a $2.75 per gallon of unleaded parallel to this.
Like I said months ago - just in time for the cold season, and of course after the Xmas.
After all you got to give the consumer incentive to go and buy  more crap from China.  After that is over with - drain them at the pump.

BigBlock
Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:09:28 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)
What hopes?
If the automakers get the money, the only thing it is going to happen is that the economic deterioration will not be as severe as if they don't.  
Getting that money is not going to improve anything in this economy - there will be lay offs anyways because there will be consolidations.
I wonder who puts those nonsense news together.  May be there was no sensible reason for the makets to go up at all.  How about that!

What?  In the news today (Headlines) - "Street falls in bailout fears". 
What happened to the "US stocks rise ON HOPES for an auto bailout?
Are the editors havein too much eggnol already, or is the bot missing a few screws here and there?

realitycheck
Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:26:11 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)
QUOTE (BigBlock)
What hopes?

What?  In the news today (Headlines) - "Street falls in bailout fears". 
What happened to the "US stocks rise ON HOPES for an auto bailout?
Are the editors havein too much eggnol already, or is the bot missing a few screws here and there?

Nothing new here ...

Those idiots always have to come up with some postulation as to why the market was either up or down ... a few or many points ...

If they knew anything ... they'd be rich ... and wouldn't be talking to us ...

BigBlock
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2008 12:54:17 AM
Bailout for the automakers halted - the markets in asia are at this moment are about 5% off.
I expect tomorrow to be an ugly day in the US markets - wouldn't want to be long on anything except Ultra Pro Double inverses.
Just when we thought the economy was real bad - it is about to get alot worse unless those clowns down in DC get their act together.
BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:43:49 PM
I am sure some of you know by now why I told you the botton is not in yet for our markets, or our economy in general.  Things will get worse before getting better.

The subprime mess aproched or surpassed the $1 Trillion and the results of such a mess are still present and growing to this day.  Over 5million houses are in inventory waiting to be sold, and will take years for that inventory to clear.  This was the first wave of the tsunami.
But the tsunami is just getting started.
We have at least 2 more gigantics waves to hit.
The second wave will come from Alt-A loans, which will hit with similar force at the rate of about 1 Trillion again.
The third wave will come from Option ARM's, which will hit with a force of about Half Trillion.
It is expected that the holders of those loans vehicles will default at a rate of about 70%. 

How many years has taken to process the subprime mess?
How many years do you think is going to take for the next 2 waves approching fast?

Some of you asked in other topics about a market bottom.  Let me put it this way, this mess will take years to process - at least 3 to 5 yrs.

Can you see a bottom now?

The marke will rally in 2009 coinciding with the swearing of president elected Obama.  Most will think that the fix is around the corner.  The second wave will start hitting mid 2009.
This rally will be well within the primary bear trend.

realitycheck
Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:56:07 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)

And what do you see as being the ulitmate potential for this rally ?

I could make a decent argument for something as low as ~10,400 ... and as high as ~11,100 ...

BigBlock
Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:02:44 PM
QUOTE (realitycheck)
QUOTE (BigBlock)

And what do you see as being the ulitmate potential for this rally ?

I could make a decent argument for something as low as ~10,400 ... and as high as ~11,100 ...

What are you looking for a head and shoulder?
I am not sure yet, but I would doubt much that the 11,000 resistant would be broken.
So yes, yes posibilities.
BigBlock
Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:17:55 PM
Don't be fool by today's market reactions to the Fed interest rate reduction.  It was absolutely uncalled for.
I have said plenty in the past about it - so by know you should know that lower interest are just telling you lower markets in the not too distant future.
Besides who is borrowing money anyways.
The Feds now will need to start doing magic since the rates really can't go much further now.
Well may be they can give us a -1 in exchange for some more tax paper.
And may be they will add one more press to the set so we can print a few more Trillions in record time.
When Xmas are over, we will get the sales results.  Hell will start freezing over.
The golden boy is going to need more than a plan to fight this slump.
Oh! no I forgot they have the Billions from Madoff - that should do for a while.

Oh! also, this brings the question that have been wondering in my head for the last couple of days.
If Madoff didn't make any money (lost over 50 billions) in his trading who do you think made some?
realitycheck
Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:50:51 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)
Don't be fool by today's market reactions to the Fed interest rate reduction.  It was absolutely uncalled for.

Oh ... I'm not fooled ...

I'm not looking to marry this girl ... I'm just looking to spend the weekend with her ...

(Besides ... I think she's married to someone else ... shhhh !)

QUOTE (Bigblock)
And may be they will add one more press to the set so we can print a few more Trillions in record time.

I suspect that they will ....

I saw a tanker truck full of green ink headed toward Washington ... on my way home from work tonight ...

QUOTE (Bigblock)

When Xmas are over, we will get the sales results.  Hell will start freezing over.

Quite possibly ... but everything will be wonderful again come January 20th ... right ?

The sun will shine again ... a chicken in every pot ... etc ....

QUOTE (Bigblock)

If Madoff didn't make any money (lost over 50 billions) in his trading who do you think made some?

The same folks that he planned to funnel $300 million to before he turned himself in ... I would think ...

His friends ... his family ... and his offshore trusts ...

realitycheck
Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:55:25 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)
What are you looking for a head and shoulder?

No ... not at all ....

Just formuating something of an estimate of where the 10 ema/monthly and the 55 ema/monthly will be ... by the time that the market reaches it ...

BigBlock
Posted : Thursday, January 1, 2009 6:23:58 PM

Hey Reality in regards to the Madoff case - as you said "The same folks that he planned to funnel $300 million to before he turned himself in ... I would think ...

His friends ... his family ... and his offshore trusts ..."

But the more interesting thought  is - Madoff head of the Nasdaq Exchange with Billions at his firm disposal could not make "profits" - that is hard to swallow - but if true THEN - who made the profits?
Furthermore, where did the wealth lost in 2008 by US investment banks,  hedge funds, pension funds, individual traders etc,  go?
Money doesn't evaporate.

What are you thoughts?

snowplowguy
Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 5:18:11 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)
Furthermore, where did the wealth lost in 2008 by US investment banks,  hedge funds, pension funds, individual traders etc,  go?

Money doesn't evaporate.

Perhaps some of this wealth was ficticious in the first place.  

If your home was valued at $400k a year ago but is now only worth $300k where did this $100k of wealth go? Did it evaporate?

Ignoring the effects of inflation if you paid $200k when you originally purchased the home, have you lost $100k or made $100k?

I think a big part of what they call wealth destruction is basically asset deflation.