Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Trying to understand syntax of today's Worden Report Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
mmalarky
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 2:17:39 AM
Howdy,
Reading the Worden Report for today (Fri 7Mar08), I was fascinated by the submission by Sir 9-day Periods, who went to great length to describe his mechanical trading method.  Don Worden's intro characterized his description as superb, so I figured I'd mock up watchlist based on his submission just to see what it would kick out.  

Sadly, I'm afraid I don't speak the lingo well enough to understand what he was indicating was the filtering criteria.  Specifically , he proposes to input the following to the boolean formula segment:  CC3.  Problem I have is that this isn't recognized as a valid formula, and I have no idea what it could possibly be referencing.

When I posed this question to support@worden, they kicked it back to the author; but I'm wondering if any of you guys could make sense of it without pestering a long-term customer with what may well be a question solely borne of the ignorance of a newbie? 

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
diceman
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 2:52:29 AM
I'm assuming there was a typo and it is
probably:

C<C3

or

C>C3

From what was stated this would be used as a
custom percent true indicator. On a "9 day"
chart. (each bar is 9 days of data)

(a typical PCF would work on daily data only)

By using a plotted custom indicator you can click
and do a sort on 9 day bars.

Its too bad it wasn't exactly clear.

(Don't the Wordens read these?)

You would think the error would be corrected in
the next report.

Thanks
diceman
DocRich
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 6:59:27 AM
The CC3 is repeated several places in the Worden note, so if it's a typo it's pretty bad that it wasn't caught by someone proofreading it. I also would like to see a simple, step-by-step, explanation. I thought it would be a PCF too, but the author talks about using the Chart Template Editor.

Thank you to anyone who can simplify how to set it up.

Rich
robjahnke
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 8:12:52 AM
Don said he notes most of the submissions he gets with "Lacks Clarity". This one he noted as "Superb". This might be "Superb" but it certainly "Lacks Clarity". The author obviously knows what he is doing, but there is clearly something wrong with "CC3"  as a criteria with  no mathematical or logical operator involved. And there are several other references that are not clear as well.  Since Don thinks this is "Superb", perhaps he could pass along a step-by-step method of implementation of the criteria (formulas used) so it could be "Superb with Clarity" :-)

Rob
moreOptions
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 9:38:51 AM
I'm having the same problem with CC3. But mine is even worse. I don't know what is meant by F tab. Also, I don't know quite what  this means:"The logic behind this is the following. The probability is very high, that after the initial two 9 day periods which are down, there will not be two more 9 day periods which are down (subscribers can see this easily; if using percent true, just put in C>C1 and C1 <----*that part*.

I am not complaining. I am impaired. I program logic all day into PLC's. Sometimes you simply cannot explain things to me such that I will understand it. (I'm serious.) I can program c>c1 into a PLC. I can "and it" with C1 (almost....C1 is a NUMBER not a STATE) but it's non-sense to me, but perhaps not to any other normal person.

I have been using telechart for years...yet I am both surprised and a bit ashamed of how often I encounter things in the notes that I don't know how to program. I make my living programming PLC's and graphical user interfaces....but instead of this being a qualification....it may in fact be the root cause of my troubles. I wish to be a "knight who thinks for himself" but I shudder to think what Don would think of me as I fumble around trying to figure out what some of the formulas mean and how to program them.
sloop22
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:16:27 AM
Thanks very much from all you out there, I thought I was loosing my mind, from this market and couldn't figure out what CC3 is or was !!I
Edisto
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:41:12 AM

First let me thank Sam for contributing, cannot say I have spent much time looking at 9 day bars, been a thought provoking couple of hours. I would tend to agree that clarity is not the strong suite of this particular report. Perhaps if we break the rules down in pseudo code, we can make sense of them. One point, given that a bar is a rolling 9 day period, backtesting this would be difficult. What you see today, would not be what you saw on that day in a live scenario.

Watch List Rule: If only the previous two 9 day period closes are down, then add to the watch list during the current 9 day period. Watch period for a given stock only lasts for a rolling 9 day period.

Buy Criteria: If the stock declines 2% from the close of the previous period, then go long.

Sell Criteria #1: Upon the start of the next (new) 9 day period, close the position if the stock opens above your purchase price. (It would appear that it is that day and that day only)

Sell Criteria #2: Assuming that criteria in #1 is not met, then hold for 9 more days and close the position on the first day open of the next 9 day period.

One other point on clarity, the chart's columns are not real clear. I take it to mean .....

Date on screen - means the day it was added to the watch list

Closing price MOS 2% - This would be the basis for adding to the watch list. Essentially the close from the previous period.

Trigger Price - This is the entry price based upon a 2% decline from "Closing price MOS 2%"

First open if above cost - sell criteria #1 price

Second open - sell criteria #2 price.

If there is a NA under trigger price, it was on the watch list and a position was never taken. If there is a price, then that is the entry price. The sell price is in one of the last two columns which are mutually exclusive.

One comment on the lack of price stop .... wow!! All sorts of things can happen in the potentiall time stop holding period of 11~19 days. This was a quick post, please excuse the misspelled words that I am sure are in here.

Thoughts .... ?

BGS

StockGuy
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:57:11 AM

Administration

CC3 should have been C2>C3.  This was corrected in the report.
diceman
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 11:30:08 AM
Using stockguys correction:

C2>C3

This can be duplicated on a daily chart by:

C18>C27

Its not exactly clear to me if we are looking
for this daily (everyday) or every nine days.

The confusing aspect is on 9 day bars
they are only true that day.

The next day is 8 "old bars" and 1 new bar.
(and so on)

My guess is if it was exactly understood.
This could be converted into a daily
system and not deal with the 9 day
charts.

I guess the only way to see what's truly going
on is to look at some of the sample trades
provided.

Thanks
diceman

Edisto
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:02:57 PM
OK check my logic here:

If we assume that C is the LAST day of the 9 day previous period and this close tells us to put it on the watch list. Then the period that we are closing out would be C through C8. Have played with several formulas and cannot duplicate the event dates noted in the chart. Will try more later.

BGS
thekubiaks
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:43:51 PM

I've run the formulas thru Tradestation and come up with some interesting observations.  The strategy does a nice job on some stocks (MCD, ROK, and I'm sure some others that I haven't looked at yet) but there can be huge drawdowns that will scare you on some volatile stocks (AAPL, GOOG).  If you can stomach a $1300 - $1500 drawdown on a $10,000 trade, then you'll like this one.  Perhaps this strategy will work with lower volatility stocks.  I used Dicemans idea about C18 < C27 etc. to convert the formulas to a daily based strategy instead of 9 day.   For those tradestation types, here is some crude code.

if marketposition = 0 and openD(27) > openD(18) and openD(18) > OpenD(9) and
 (((openD(9) - openD(1))/openD(9)) * 100) > 2 then buy next bar at open;

if marketposition = 1 and barssinceentry = 9 and open > entryprice then sell next bar at open;

if marketposition = 1 and barssinceentry = 18 then sell next bar at open;

diceman
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:56:38 PM
"I used Dicemans idea about C18 < C27"
---------------------------------------------------

Well according to stockguy its:

C2>C3

which would be:

C18>C27

Thanks for running the tests.

Thanks
diceman

mmalarky
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:59:55 PM
wow! what a difference the revised version makes.  I suggest anyone still struggling to download today's version of yesterday's Worden note.  In addition to correcting the 'coding' errors, a couple more lines of Sam's narrative have been included which complete his thoughts -- still not a jackanory, but now very complete.  (I suspect the original confusion emanated from the website's editing process, likely owing to the press to get it published timely.)

I would like to also (echoing Edisto's sentiment) take a moment to acknowledge with gratitude the effort and generousity of spirit of Sir 9-Day for sharing with us something that has been a money spinner for him.

Best regards,
Mark
thekubiaks
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:10:38 PM

Sorry to misquote you diceman.  On another note, look at MCD on a 9 day chart.   The one thing that stood out was that after three 9 day lower segments, if the newest segment opened above the close of the previous segment, it was usually profitable.  Perhaps that is what the author is trying to point out.   That is how I coded the Tradestation code.... it looks promising but I can't seem to duplicate the authors trades which means I don't  have all the pieces of the puzzle figured out yet.  Thanks again..... 

diceman
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:28:38 PM
Ok in the corrected report. The new formula is:

C<C1
C1<C2
C2>C3

on a 9 day chart.

--------------------------------------------------------

To create this PCF daily it would be:

C<C9ANDC9<C18ANDC18>C27

Thanks
diceman
VA_Bear
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:41:35 PM

Diceman:

Wouldn't the formula be:

c<c8 and c8<c17 and c17<c26

since 
c   =day1
c1=day2
c2=day3
c3=day4
c4=day5
c5=day6
c6=day7
c7=day8
c8=day9
c9=day10

diceman
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:54:25 PM
The 9 day bar holds 9 days of data.

The first bar is C thru C8
The second one is C9 thru C17
The third is C18 to C26
-----------------------------------------------------------------
So to ask if C1 is less than C2

we must ask if C9 (close of bar 1) is less than C18
(close of bar 2)

Thanks
diceman

DocRich
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 2:21:40 PM

The edited note republished today, Saturday, does help clarify some of the confusion. I'm sure the rush to meet the publishing deadline caused the typo(s) oversight.

Also, my curt note was not to disrespect Sir 9-Day Period's generosity. I woke up too early today, then was frustrated trying to make his system work. Thank you Sir 9-Day Periods.

So for my fellow "newbies" to Telechart customization, here's what I think works. Tell me if I'm off the mark.

First, make a new watchlist of the stocks you'll want to scan using this system. I named mine "9 Day Periods Master List" and then just copied the 500 SP500 stocks to it for starters.

Press F9 key to open a 9-day chart template.

Next, open the Chart Template Editor by pressing the letter "I" on the keyboard. Following the instructions, click the "+ sign" next to the "Middle" title, and choose Percent True. Enter in the formula window this line exactly: C<C1 and C1<C2 and C2>C3. It's a Boolean formula so type "and" and not +, etc. I wasn't sure what to choose for smoothing so sticking with the theme I selected 9, and then Simple, then Save.

Now using the new watchlist you just made with the SP500 stocks or whatever stocks, ETFs you want to scan, use the pick list under the watchlist name to scan by Indicator Sorts", which is the last category of sorts at the bottom of the list that pops up. Under "Middle", you should see the %true C<C1 and C1<C2 and C2>C3 line you had just entered in the Chart Template Editor. Choose that and scan.

Your list should then be sorted with all those stocks 100% true coming to the top of your watchlist, followed below by the stocks not making the cut (and therefore not 100% true). You'll see the percentages listed to the right of the stock's name. Flag all the stocks that are 100% true, and copy them to yet another new watchlist with the sort date included in the title. These are the stocks that closed at least 2% below their previous 9 day period close. Do this everyday and you'll end up with 9 watchlists you're constantly watching, after you delete the oldest when you add the most recent daily list of the sorted stocks.  Some of those stocks will be trending higher and I suspect those are the ones Sir 9-Day watches closest to buy.

His Sell intructions are pretty clear, I think, although I'm not sure why I need to sell immediately if the stock opens above my purchase price. Couldn't I use a stop loss and/or other criteria to decide when to sell, in case I found a winner that wants to run?

Hope this helps, and I hope I interpreted the instructions correctly.

Rich

bustermu
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 3:07:14 PM
Please notice that there are nine 9-Day charts but only one of them appears to be used for the construction of the Table.

With 9-Day charts, we cannot observe which day a commitment is made.  The System is easily converted to Daily charts if desired.

It seems to me it would be simpler to order a WatchList by the PCF:

C0<C9 AND C9<C18 AND C18>C27

(or put it in an EasyScan) than to use a SortBy on the Custom Percent True Indicator.

In my opinion, the System certainly is about as simple and easily understood as you can expect.

Thanks,
Jim Murphy 
robjahnke
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 3:31:53 PM
To DocRich.

I think what you said makes great sense right up to the point where you say:
 "These are the stocks that closed at least 2% below their previous 9 day period close."

I think to get to the 2% trigger, you need to use watchlist tracking. Once the stocks that meet the criteria C<C1 and C1<C2 and C2>C3 are put in a watchlist, then you need to use the watchlist tracking feature of TC2000 for the next 9 days to see which ones (if any) drop 2% or more. Those would be your buy candidates.

Rob
thekubiaks
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 3:34:01 PM
QUOTE (robjahnke)
To DocRich.

"These are the stocks that closed at least 2% below their previous 9 day period close."

I think to get to the 2% trigger, you need to use watchlist tracking. Once the stocks that meet the criteria C<C1 and C1<C2 and C2>C3 are put in a watchlist, then you need to use the watchlist tracking feature of TC2000 for the next 9 days to see which ones (if any) drop 2% or more. Those would be your buy candidates.

Rob

I agree with Rob
DocRich
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 4:34:41 PM
You're both right. Thanks! 

So maybe set up an EasyScan to quickly look at all  9 or 10 watchlists that the 9-day system helps make to highlight those stocks, to further automate the selection process?... need to think some more about this.

It seems that good cash management, in choosing position sizes, is vital for this system to work consistently also. But what's new about that when it comes to successful trading?

Rich
bustermu
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 5:01:40 PM
QUOTE (DocRich)
I wasn't sure what to choose for smoothing so sticking with the theme I selected 9, and then Simple, then Save.

The period should be 1, not 9.

QUOTE (DocRich)
Now using the new watchlist you just made with the SP500 stocks or whatever stocks, ETFs you want to scan, use the pick list under the watchlist name to scan by Indicator Sorts", which is the last category of sorts at the bottom of the list that pops up. Under "Middle", you should see the %true C<C1 and C1<C2 and C2>C3 line you had just entered in the Chart Template Editor. Choose that and scan.

Your list should then be sorted with all those stocks 100% true coming to the top of your watchlist, followed below by the stocks not making the cut (and therefore not 100% true). You'll see the percentages listed to the right of the stock's name. Flag all the stocks that are 100% true, and copy them to yet another new watchlist with the sort date included in the title. These are the stocks that closed at least 2% below their previous 9 day period close. Do this everyday and you'll end up with 9 watchlists you're constantly watching, after you delete the oldest when you add the most recent daily list of the sorted stocks.  Some of those stocks will be trending higher and I suspect those are the ones Sir 9-Day watches closest to buy.

Put in a limit order to buy at 2% below "the previous 9 day period close".  This will be your in price (approximately) if executed.  You cannot restrict your list to those that go below the in price until after the fact.

Thanks,
Jim Murphy 
TerryS
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 5:49:26 PM
Using the S&P 500 component stock list with the formula, are you guys coming up with 59 stocks(100% true) in your watchlist?

Thanks
Terry
diceman
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 9:14:37 PM
TerryS

Yes 59 stocks

Thanks
diceman
TerryS
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 9:31:14 PM
Thanks diceman!

Allende
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 9:38:04 AM
I'm Sir 9 Day period. Let me see if I can clarify some of the problems.
First of all, the original post was indecipherable even to me. I immediately wrote to Support and they corrected it and added some more of what I had written, and which they had left out. I had no idea what CC3 was and now, of course, it has been changed to c<c1 and c1< c2 and c2>c3. Martin De Johng, in charge of data at Worden, wrote me a  very nice note of apology.
The examples I gave at the bottom of the submission shouldn't be confusing, but I'll give an example using data from this past Friday March 7. Use ABT for the past two years. I'm just picking this stock at random. As I said in the submission, this only works if you are doing it hundreds of times (or thousands as I have done), so that the probability over a large number of exposures has a chance to come to the fore.
Here is the example. Click on an F tab and set it on 9 day. Go to the middle window and using the editing function, go to % true. In the box put c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2<c3. Save it. Now you will see in the middle screen, all those times, for nine day periods, when c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2>c3.
Using ABT, lets go back to 1/26/06, which on my screen shows that the formula was 100% true, that is the long line was at the top of the screen.
The closing price was 53.90. If during the next 9 day period, the stock hits 52.82, buy. In this case, by scrolling one notch across the screen (and seeing the high, low, last at the top of the screen) you can see that it didn't hit it so we wouldn't have bought. I'm now going to list all subsequent 100% trues until now (and remember, this is for only the nine  day period ending this past Friday; there was a nine day period ending on Thursday etc. and most of you know how to scroll back one day, reset the time period to 9 days, and then backtest those nine day periods).

Date        Close   Trigger (2% MOS)   Ist. open after nine day period    2nd open after nine day period

4/13/06   51.48    50.45                         N/A (did not hit trigger)
6/6/06     47.60    46.64                         N/A
7/14/06   47.74    46.78                         - (it was not above cost)              45.70 (as you can see, a loss)
11/07/06 57.32   56.17                         N/A
3/21/07   61.59   60.35                         60.82
8/10/07   62.36   61.11                         62.17
10/15/07 63.65   62.37                         63.12
1/2/08     49.51   48.51                          49.54

And as you can see from your screen, ABT goes on the watch list based on Friday's close. If it declines 2% in the next nine days, it has triggered a buy (I'm not saying to buy it or not; I'll probably buy it as one of 15 or 20 stocks that are on my watch list from this past Friday and go down, hopefully, by 2% in the next nine days).
Some other stocks, so you can see if your setup is correct, that met the criteria c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2>c3, as of this past Friday are AMZN, EBAY,XRX,SNDK, TGT.

And that's it. I'll be able to answer any more reasonable questions that are posted. I'm in Italy, there's a time change, I think I'll be able to get back on this discussioon board, but it might not be immediately.
Hope this is helpful.
Sam
Allende
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 9:58:24 AM
There is still one other mistake in the submission that hasn't been corrected (partly my fault, mea culpa). 
I said, "The logic behind this is the following. The probability is very high, that after the initial two 9 day periods which are down, there will not be two more 9 day periods which are down (subscribers can see this easily; if using percent true, just put in C>C1 and C1 ... there will be more times when there are not at least four consecutive down periods, than when there are).
Of course, that makes no sense (I didn't write c>c1 and C1). It should be c<c1 and c1<c2 (or you could look at it c>c1 and c1>c2).
This will visually show you that there are many "more times", when there is only one time when c<c1 and c1<c2 and then the 100% true disappears because the stock went up over the nine day period (and you have a profit if you had put on the trade). There are a number of times when, as you can see, c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2<c3 and c3< c4 etc .etc. That is, there are times that the stock keeps going down. That's the reason for the loss cut at 18 days max (the second opening after the nine day period that gave you the watch list price).
The other thing (that was left out of the submission as it originally appeared, but is now in there) is that because of the 2% MOS, even if you have a situation where you put on the trade, and c<c1 and c1<c2, then turns into c2<c3 and perhaps even c3<c4 (that is, four down nine day periods), you can still make money because while the nine day periods are down, the opening after each one may be greater than your cost (because you used the MOS of 2%). If you decide to use the system (or in backtesting) you'll that this happens many times.
Allende
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:02:51 AM
QUOTE (robjahnke)
To DocRich.

Rob

Precisely. Sir 9 Day
diceman
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:06:09 AM
"Go to the middle window and using the editing function, go to % true. In the box put c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2<c3. Save it. Now you will see in the middle screen, all those times, for nine day periods, when c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2>c3."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

After the word "put" dont you mean:

C<C1ANDC<C2ANDC2>C3

?????

Thanks
diceman

Allende
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:13:12 AM
QUOTE (Allende)
I'm Sir 9 Day period. Let me see if I can clarify some of the problems.

First of all, the original post was indecipherable even to me. I immediately wrote to Support and they corrected it and added some more of what I had written, and which they had left out. I had no idea what CC3 was and now, of course, it has been changed to c<c1 and c1< c2 and c2>c3. Martin De Johng, in charge of data at Worden, wrote me a  very nice note of apology.

The examples I gave at the bottom of the submission shouldn't be confusing, but I'll give an example using data from this past Friday March 7. Use ABT for the past two years. I'm just picking this stock at random. As I said in the submission, this only works if you are doing it hundreds of times (or thousands as I have done), so that the probability over a large number of exposures has a chance to come to the fore.

Here is the example. Click on an F tab and set it on 9 day. Go to the middle window and using the editing function, go to % true. In the box put c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2<c3. Save it. Now you will see in the middle screen, all those times, for nine day periods, when c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2>c3.

Using ABT, lets go back to 1/26/06, which on my screen shows that the formula was 100% true, that is the long line was at the top of the screen.

The closing price was 53.90. If during the next 9 day period, the stock hits 52.82, buy. In this case, by scrolling one notch across the screen (and seeing the high, low, last at the top of the screen) you can see that it didn't hit it so we wouldn't have bought. I'm now going to list all subsequent 100% trues until now (and remember, this is for only the nine  day period ending this past Friday; there was a nine day period ending on Thursday etc. and most of you know how to scroll back one day, reset the time period to 9 days, and then backtest those nine day periods).

Date        Close   Trigger (2% MOS)   Ist. open after nine day period    2nd open after nine day period

4/13/06   51.48    50.45                         N/A (did not hit trigger)

6/6/06     47.60    46.64                         N/A

7/14/06   47.74    46.78                         - (it was not above cost)              45.70 (as you can see, a loss)

11/07/06 57.32   56.17                         N/A

3/21/07   61.59   60.35                         60.82

8/10/07   62.36   61.11                         62.17

10/15/07 63.65   62.37                         63.12

1/2/08     49.51   48.51                          49.54

And as you can see from your screen, ABT goes on the watch list based on Friday's close. If it declines 2% in the next nine days, it has triggered a buy (I'm not saying to buy it or not; I'll probably buy it as one of 15 or 20 stocks that are on my watch list from this past Friday and go down, hopefully, by 2% in the next nine days).

Some other stocks, so you can see if your setup is correct, that met the criteria c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2>c3, as of this past Friday are AMZN, EBAY,XRX,SNDK, TGT.

And that's it. I'll be able to answer any more reasonable questions that are posted. I'm in Italy, there's a time change, I think I'll be able to get back on this discussioon board, but it might not be immediately.

Hope this is helpful.

Sam

I see that in my rush to answer, I made an error. I said: "In the box put c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2<c3. "
that shouls be "in the box put c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2>c3." That should work.
Sam
moychris
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:57:34 AM
Hello,

I have read Sam's technique provided in the previous post and I am trying to figure out why I am seeing a difference for ABT at the time period specfied. For the data provided (1/26/06), on the 9 day chart I see a close of $43.32, nothing quite close to $53.90. All of the subsequent closing prices do not see to match either.  Is this the correct stock or could I be interpreting this incorrectly?

Thanks, Chris
Allende
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:08:04 AM
[QUOTE=moychris]Hello,

I have read Sam's technique provided in the previous post and I am trying to figure out why I am seeing a difference for ABT at the time period specfied. For the data provided (1/26/06), on the 9 day chart I see a close of $43.32, nothing quite close to $53.90. All of the subsequent closing prices do not see to match either.  Is this the correct stock or could I be interpreting this incorrectly?

Boy Chris, this is embarrassing, very embarrassing. It's not ABT. Let me see which stock I had switched to and I'll get back to you shortly. sorry about that that.
Allende
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:15:59 AM
QUOTE (moychris)
Hello,

Thanks, Chris

Chris,
It was TGT. Plug in the dates and see what you get. Sorry about that. As you can see, I really did just take any stock. I'll do a few more, hopefully getting the symbol correct :) and post. That's the least I can do to make up for my error.
Again, my apologies.
Sam
Allende
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:55:43 AM

Chris,
This is LLY (boy I hope I have that symbol correct). I did it quickly as you can see. Hopefully no mistakes.
I'll dispense with the column headings which you can see above.

2/8/05       55.40     54.29      N/A
4/1/05       51.19     50.16      N/A
6/6/05       57.69     56.53     58.20
8/9/05       53.84     52.76     53.50
10/12/05  52.18    51.13      -            51.12
2/8/06       55.70    54.58      N/A
4/13/06     53.27    52.20      52.65
8/22/06     54.98    53.88      N/A
11/7/06     56.98    55.84      -           54.23
3/8/07       52.36    51.31      N/A
6/20/07     56.77    55.63     56.82
7/30/07     54.77    53.67     56.70
10/26/07   52.68    51.62     -            49.93
2/11/08     50.23    49.22     50.63

4/13/06 is a good example to use re the MOS 2%. The stock continued to go down in subsequent 9 day periods, but you had a profit, at the first open after the nine day period you put it on, because it opened up above your cost, so you were out.

I might as well address some other questions that have been raised or that might be raised.
Gee, 18 days and a stock can go to hell. Yup. That's why you spread the risk among many stocks, over many transactions over a long period of time (think 1 year, two years, three years). You'll have drawdowns but that comes with the system. If you want to protect against down markets, hedge this out with S&P puts. You also continue to make each transaction the same dollar amount. The stock can go to hell over a max of 18 days, but it can also go up appreciably over that time or over a nine day max period. I've had many many transactions where at the first open after the nine day period in which I put it on, I had a loss, only to have a huge gain on my close (the second open after the nine day period in which I put on the transaction). Look, you have to have proper money management with this system.

Why 2%? Why not 2.25% or 1 1/2 %. You certainly can switch the parameters. These are the ones I feel comfortable with. The parameters are  very robust around  9 day and 2%. 

Why not wait until there are three down periods (i.e. c<c1 and c1<c2 and c2<c3). Absolutely can be done and the probability of gain is even greater. Sometimes the number of exposures is limited. As someone who thought of becoming an actuary, I like lots of exposures and I normally get more to choose from using two down periods. Today, however, with the market down so much it is easy to find stocks and ETFs with many down nine day periods (e.g. QQQQ). Over a long period of time, the probabilities are going to be even more in your favor.

Why spread the risk by doing it daily (that is, putting on some each day that you can). You do this because you are looking for markets and stocks to rebound at some point and the probability is better if you spread your risk over a nine day period as opposed to any one day (and of course in some cases you are holding on for 18 days).

Hope this helps.

Sam        

moychris
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 12:00:47 PM
Thanks Sam, this is great. The one question I have is if you implement any  stop-loss strategy if a stock moves substantially in the opposite direction (say, greater than 20%) or do you just stick with the 18 day maximum in all circumstances?

Chris
robjahnke
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 12:27:47 PM

Sir 9 Day (Sam)

You are both a true gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for your kind patience and clarifications.

Rob

Allende
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 12:28:41 PM
Chris,
I just use the time stop. The stock could go down 20%  (50%) and I don't care. It's one exposure this time and I have the same mind set as when a stock pops up 20%. I don't take the profit. I'm letting the time stop, for both profits and losses dictate what I do. Sometimes it means I give back some of a gain, sometimes it means a greater profit on the close. A stock down 20%; sometimes I'll close it (at either the first or second opening) and it will be down 30%, sometimes 10%. In order to have this work, you have to allow for the probabilty behind this to work. 

The theory of the probability is very simple and am sure you've already thought about it. For those who haven't it is this and it is simple. Stocks in general don't keep going down forever. Most of the time, there is at least a bounce. In the old days the specialists (or in the case of NASDAQ, the market makers) would create the bounce. At other times value buyers step in. It doesn't matter how the bounce occurs. More often than not it does. 

When you put on a transaction using what I've outlined, the stock is already down for two nine day periods ( and as I said in another post, it can be done with more than two down periods). Furthermore, the stock is 2% lower than the close of that period. Those things lead to a  strong probability that the stock will be up at the next open (of the nine day period) or the one after that. However, it is only a probability. It works only if you have enough exposures. Then it works extremely well. Extremely well.

Finally, once again, for those who are worried about  big market downdrafts, hedge this system out. You'll find that you might not do as well with the individual stocks as you would in a normal down market, a flat market or an up market, but you will lose less money with this system than the money you'll make with the hedge. In an up market if you've hedged, you'll make a lot more money with the stocks you chose with this system than the money you've lost in the hedges. Test it out on 2002 data and you'll see what i mean.

Sam   
thekubiaks
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 2:06:22 PM
Sam,
      Thank you so much for your trading ideas, they have opened up some new avenues for me to research.  I tried all kinds of variations on your system (2.25%, 1.5%, stop losses, profit targets, 3 * 9day down blocks, etc. )  Your original system is truly robust.   Since there is no protections for downdrafts, the system can get scary (especially in todays market) but should be fantasic once everything settles out.   Thanks again for sharing and best wishes!!!!!
moychris
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 6:03:37 PM
Hi Sam,

I have not performed any backtesting on your system as of yet but I hope to do so in the near future. It really does sound interesting and I have found similar patterns with other approaches but have not formalized it like you have.

With the current number of stocks that fit the profile (59 as of March 7th, pre-MOS), in your experience, is there any additional filtering (ie Moneystream, TSV, MACD, sector, fundementals) that could be useful for making selections when so many stocks (in this current market) fit the profile. I would think RSI would be a useful metric in this context.

Thank you for clarifying everything and providing additional examples. It has been a great help.

Chris