Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Price Bar Count Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
kpnicholson
Posted : Monday, October 23, 2006 6:18:03 PM
Hello,

Can the snapsheet application/Code Blocks be set up to count the Number of Price bars between two delimiters (Date 1...Date 2)

kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:56:08 PM
Hello,

I still have not heard back from a Trainer... Can Snapsheets calculate the Price Bars between a begin date and an end date...?
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2006 5:53:08 AM

Worden Trainer

Slipped through the cracks, I apologize.

Let me see if I understand...

In SnapSheets you want to have two date pointers that you could slide to any two dates. You would then want to see the count of the bars between these two points?

In SnapSheets this is possible. Confirm it is what you want and I will put together instructions for you.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2006 7:14:19 PM
Hello Craig,

Yes,

I would like to be able to count the Price Bars between two date parameters no matter if it is Intraday, Daily or Monthly...

Thanks,
kpn
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 7:01:58 AM

Worden Trainer

This attached SnapSheet has two date bars.

The green is the "starting" bar, the red is the "ending" bar

To the right of the time-frame picker you will see the number of bars between and including the two pointers.

You can right-click on this number and go to properties to see how I constructed this.

Once downloaded, you can open the SnapSheet by going to FILE, OPEN SNAPSHEET, FROM MY COMPUTER

Enjoy!

(download and save it in the My Documents\My SnapSheets\SnapSheets folder)

Attachments:
CAS - Counter.bWorks - 26 KB, downloaded 1,193 time(s).

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 1:55:11 PM
Craig,

This is really EXTRA cool...

I thank you very much for the timely response...

Great work...

Snapsheets is a Fantastic Tool... I just wish Worden had a really good tutorial on how to use all the code blocks. As soon as Snapsheets can read real-time data... I will be upgrading my subscription to Platinum...

Please pass this message on to your Management...

Great Job...

Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 2:02:36 PM

Worden Trainer

It was fun... I love challenges and being able to fill wishlists. The more I use SnapSheets the more limitless it becomes.

After I posted that I was thinking..,

You essentially asked for a new feature for the software. In other software we would have to wait for the next version and hope that feature is added.

In SnapSheets we have such flexibility, we can create our own software features... without writing code or creating changes that screw up another feature. It lets us become software developers without writing a single line of code.

Did you explore the block diagram I made to get the count? The logic of it may be of use for you in other projects in the future.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 3:12:22 PM
Craig,

Your Chart works wonderful...

However, I have not tried to enter the Code block in my own Snapsheet and I am stumped...

Questions:
How do I create BarChart End & BarChart Start...
Where to I get the "Data to Display" Green arrow...
Did you create a new Plot or put did you put yor Bar Count in the the price Plot...
What scaling did you use...
There must be more to it then what I am looking at...

Once I have these, I am sure the code will work...

Thanks,
Keith

Craig_S
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 3:17:48 PM

Worden Trainer

Here are the steps I made:

I took the Date Pointer that comes with Personal Chartist can changed its name to End.
I right-clicked on the bottom date scale and added another Date Pointer tool, made it green and clled it Start

I then added to the top toolbar two things:

A label
A Data Display box.

I then constructed the block diagram in the data display box to use the two date pointer tools from the chart for the two dates.

Does that help?

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 4:20:07 PM
Hi Craig,

Thank you...

I finally got all of it to work... I had all the correct Code Blocks set up correctly... However, I could not get the Bar number to display... I fooled around with the parameters and was able to make it work... Basically I had Black on Black and could not see any numbers...

I do have one question...

When Snapsheets can read real time data and the display can be changed to 2,3,4,5...N days or Minutes... Will this process still work for how many bars are on the chart between the two date paramaters...?

Thanks again...

Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 4:29:46 PM

Worden Trainer

I can't say for sure (having no idea what that version of SnapSheets will look like) but I would be surprised if it didn't still work.

If it doesn't when that day comes, you and I will make a new on that does work.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 4:47:10 PM
Craig,

Super...

This has really helped me... Before I had to bounce back and forth between OptionsXpress charting and TC2007 Snapsheets in order to get the Bar Count... You may wonder why I need to know the amount of price bars between two date...? By using Bill Williams indicators and knowing how many bars there are helps find the peek of an elliot wave, wave 3...

Thanks again,
Keith
kpnicholson
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 8:14:58 PM
Hi Craig,

I am not sure what is going on with the two date parameters...

Maybe, because the 2,3,4...n is not validated as yet... The Green and Red Date indicators disapear off of the screen and can't be found unless I put the two Date parameters right next to each other when changing the day count...

If you could try what I am experiencing and let me know what to do in order to always have the vertical date lines available... I would really like to understand how to use...

Thanks...
Craig_S
Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2006 5:16:29 AM

Worden Trainer

Whenever you change time frames you may see the date pointers fall off the visible chart. You should notice small gray arrows in the bottom left or right of the date scale. Click and drag the gray arrow and you should get your date pointers back.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:21:01 AM
Hi Craig,

Thanks again... Works like a Champ...

A couple of other thoughts that I would like to add on to my SnapSheet application...

I would like to know how to add in a Web link and put that web link next to the "Google Finance" tab at the top next to the "Bar Chart" tab. I started originally with Wordens "Personal Chartist"... What I am looking for is a link that will tell me if the Stock is going to Split or if the company is going to announce Earnings... I want to know this before I buy the option... I would like to be able to just press a tab, and go to the a site for this information... I am not sure if Snapsheets can pass this information to the linked application...

Thanks,
Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, October 30, 2006 9:08:35 AM

Worden Trainer

Click on the menu item Snap-Ins then Add to SnapSheet then from Web Library.

Click on Browsers by Category. Check out the extensive list there. If you are not sure how to Snap-In or Tab the browsers you add, check out this video:

Moving and Tabbing Snap-In Tools

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Monday, October 30, 2006 6:19:56 PM
Thanks Craig,

I just got home from work...

I will give this a try later today...

I will review the video if I cannot figure your response out...

Again, thank you,
Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, October 30, 2006 6:24:30 PM

Worden Trainer

Let me know if you need more help.... you know where to find me!

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2006 2:52:54 PM
Hi Craig,

All is working very well...

I have another challenge for you...

I have been able to create all of Bill Williams Indicators, with the help of you and Bruce, except for 1. In their charting tool they use a 3 Displaced Moving averages on Price... Bruce figured out the following:
13-bar smoothed moving average offset 8 bars into the future
8-bar smoothed moving average offset by 5 bars into the future
5-bar smoothed moving average offset by 3 bars into the future...

However, Bruce did not figure out how to place the 3 moving averages lines drawn in to the future... The lines stoped on the last Price Bar... I would like to see if the lines could be extended out in the future...

What do you think...?

Thanks,
Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2006 2:57:15 PM

Worden Trainer

I don't know of a way to create data for the future (extend the scale to the right for dates that have not occurred.)

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2006 3:01:04 PM
Oh well,
Thanks anyway...

If you do not mind talking to Bruce for a moment... He actually did the extended lines... However, he said it was to much "Spegetti code"... I thought you might ask to see if you had a different way...

Thanks for trying...
Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2006 3:13:02 PM

Worden Trainer

I am messing with the idea as we speak. Bruce and I will post anything we figure out here.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2006 3:14:32 PM
Cool...

Thanks
kpnicholson
Posted : Monday, November 6, 2006 5:51:35 PM
Hi Craig,

Any news regrading how to extend the price bars in to the future...?

Thanks,
Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, November 6, 2006 5:54:58 PM

Worden Trainer

No news.... yet. I will let you know here if we come up with anything.

- Craig
Here to Help!
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, November 7, 2006 11:53:48 AM

Worden Trainer

kpnicholson,
I've adjusted the Shifted Line Plot Code Block in alligator to shift outside the range of the input Plot. The algorithm used is fairly naive and just divides the total time of the input plot by the number of bars in the input plot to get the timeframe of the bars outside the range of the input plot. You should be able to edit the original Shifted Line Plot Code Block and just replace your existing code with the new code. You will need to recompile and save the Code Block once this is done

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Friday, November 10, 2006 10:32:35 PM
Hi Bruce,

I looked for the Code Blocks that you changed for the "Jaw", "Teeth" and "Lip" indicators to show the extension of the Alligator... I double clicked on the "Alligator" string and did not see anything different... Maybe I am missing something... Could you please let me know...

Thanks,
Keith
kpnicholson
Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2006 3:50:20 PM
Hi Bruce,

Forget my last Post...

I believe I figured out what you wanted me to do... If you could review what I did and let me know if I completed the task correctly, I would be grateful...

I first created a New Block Code called "Shifted Line Plot2". I re-compiled the code block with your new code. I then replaced the "Shifted Line Plot" with "Shifted Line Plot2" for the Jaw, Teeth and Lip of the Alligator. I compared the new Indicators with Investor's Dream. With the stocks I selected they both matched exactly...

I did not modify or change anything to the "Moving Average Smoothed" code block...

However, I do have one problem that I created... When I created "Shifted Line Plot2" code block, I copied the wrong code into the editor and compiled the code. The code was from the "Moving Average Smoothed Block"... I received a clean compile and saved the code block... Then I realized what I did and then recompiled with the above steps. I deleted the .cbf file on my computer... However, when I go to "Select" a new code block both of the "Shifted Line Plot2" are there to select... My Question: How can I delete the one code block I do not want...? I do know which one is valid and which one is not...

Sorry for the Trouble... I just would like to clean up my mistake...

Thanks for spending the time to create the extended moving averages out in to the future... The application works great...

The only issues I have had with Snapsheets is the time the application takes to boot up and the application will freeze in the middle of me modifying the application. The application shows “Not Responding”. I have waited 5 or more minutes to see if the application will fix itself. I then have to "Kill" the program to get out and start over... Sometimes when changing from one stock to another the Price Bar colors will not show up... All will be white... If I click on the same stock again the Price Bar colors usually appear... Once in awhile the application will not even boot. I usually have to clear my cache and reboot my system. Something in memory is getting clobbered. I usually am not running any other application when using Snapsheets. I will start TC2007 and update the application and then close the application to make sure Snapsheets boots without any problems. I have had problems when I leave TC2007 running while starting Snapsheets… If one of your technicians would like to talk to me… Please have them call… or send me an email to call them…

Thanks again,
Keith
diceman
Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2006 10:14:10 PM
How much ram is on your computer?

My feeling is more ram is the best
bet to speed things up.

Thanks
diceman
halliday
Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2006 10:05:54 AM
Craig,

Thanks for the pointer to the Moving and Tabbing Snap-Ins video.

It showed me how to add a Tabbed Internet page to the top of the SnapSheet.

I was cloning a Tab inorder to create a link to a different Internet page. Now I know how to add it as a Tab to the SnapSheet.

As Garfield would say, "Sweet!".

Bill
Craig_S
Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2006 11:56:43 AM

Worden Trainer

My pleasure. Be sure to watch all the videos on the website.

For information, videos and to download SnapSheets (which uses the TeleChart data feed), please check out the SnapSheets Web Site

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:31:53 PM
Hi Bruce and Craig...

I would like to add Stochastic Indicator to my Snapsheet window...
My question is...
What is the best way to add a Stochastic indicator to my Snapsheet and how can I be able to look at any data point what is the value of the Stochastic parameter... So from a day to day Price bar I would like to know the exact value of the Stochastic value... I would also like to add a High bar of 60 and a low bar of 40...

Can you help with how I can develop this within my snapsheet application

Thanks,
Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:50:23 PM

Worden Trainer

Add it via the ADD STUDY button. You can set the value pointers to any level. You can add more value pointers by right-clicking the scale in the pane and adding the tool.

To display the values, add a DATA DISPLAY box to your top tool bar. In the Block Diagram for it use the Snap-In of your plotted Stochastics connected to a VALUE AT DATE block which you will connect to the DATE POINTER Snap-In.

Let me know if you have trouble doing this.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:17:58 PM
Hi Craig,

I am a little confused...

I want to add a Stochastics with an (8,3,3)...

Then I want to be able to set the Overbought and Oversold values to any number I want... I also want to be able to display the exact value the Stochastic is...

How do I do this in SnapSheets...?

Sorry to be a pain...

Thanks,
Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:32:54 PM

Worden Trainer

Did you add Stochastics from the ADD STUDY and Web Library?

You can QuickEdit the settings once it is plotted.

You can click and drag the value pointers to any level once it is plotted.

You can then display the exact value via Editing the toolbar and adding a DATA DISPLAY box as I outlined above.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2006 6:49:13 PM
Hi Craig,

I added Stochastics Period 8, %K 3, Simple %D 3, Simple OB OS... I do not know what is "OB" "OS"...? I seem to have the Stochastic parameter working... I have also created a "Data to Diaplay" with the "Last Value in Series" as a properties function for displaying the Stochastic value... However, How do I display the Stochastic value of any given Price bar value...

Thanks,
Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:35:48 PM

Worden Trainer

You are almost there!

OB and OS are the overbought/sold levels set by the value pointers. They are used to color the red and green.

In the Block Diagram for the Data Display, be sure to set the fore color (in the Properties in the top right).

Replace LAST VALUE IN SERIES with VALUE AT DATE. Connect the date in the VALUE AT DATE to the DATE POINTER.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:16:44 AM
Hi Craig,

Thanks again...

The Code Block I used was "Value For Date"... Did not see a "Value At Date"... I created another Date pointer and called it "Stochastic Date"... When I finish the new feature from your instructions... Everything just seems so easy... However, when I try to find the Code Block that I think will work... I just cannot put it all together yet... I still have a long way to go to understanding all the code blocks... Then, I will need to learn .net to create my own code, if needed...

One question I have regarding Memory usage and the amount of features I have in a SnapSheet... Is there a Limit as to how many features can be added...? I notice that SnapSheets does not always work... Sometime color is missing or the application will not bring up the Chart... A list of "Things" sometimes goes wrong on a chart I have not modified for days... Any Idea...?

Thanks again for all the help...

Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2006 7:58:07 AM

Worden Trainer

This gets into the specs and technical aspects of the program which I have no real knowledge of. Our tech team will be the best resource for these types of questions.

Technical Support is available via telephone, live chat and email. Their hours are 9AM - 9PM EST through the week, and 9AM - 3PM Saturday. support@worden.com or 919.408.0542. Support is also available via live chat. You can go to the Live Tech Support Chat during business hours for live interactive chat with one of the Tech Support Agents.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:24:23 AM
Craig and Bruce,

Both of you have been wonderful to work with and extremely knowledgeable regarding the capabilities of Snapsheets. With your help and guidance, I now have a Snapsheet Chart that provides me with the tools I require to do my Stock Trading analysis…

Please pass this email on to your Manager...

I thank you very much… Excellent work…

Keith